Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The Idea

I've actually struggled writing this post for a couple of days, not because I don't know what to say but because I'm afraid of starting. I'm scared that once I do write this post, and I truly begin the whole process of creating, I will lose sight and control of my idea and that I won't be able to follow through. The idea itself isn't even that complex I'm just not very confident in my skills and am feeling a bit overwhelmed over the number of things I have to do, HOWEVER, there is no point to dwell on all of this as at the end of the day, I know I will do my absolute best in the project, so I'll just have to trust the process.

Anyways... without further ado 

The Idea! 

(Name has yet to be decided)


The short story begins with the main character walking around in a museum. She is young, holding a sketchbook or perhaps a museum guidebook, and wears nice but simple clothing. She is looking around her, glancing at each painting but one, in particular, catches her eye. She stands in front of it. It's a baroque piece with elements of romanticism of a woman crying. The woman is looking off to the side, a distinct tear is trailing down her cheek. She wears a light floral dress and though the background is blurry, it is clear she is outside in the day, surrounded by shady trees. 

The protagonist is absolutely captivated by this painting. She doesn't know what it is but something about her puts her in a trance. She absentmindedly reaches towards the painting, almost as if she were to wipe the woman's tear away. However, her trance is immediately broken when she notices paint trail up her arm, almost as if the painting itself was coming alive to encompass her. Suddenly, she is yanked in.

The protagonist slowly comes back to her senses. It's bright and her visions I a bit blurry but she can hear the sound of leaves moving against the wind and she can feel the sun kiss her skin. Her vision clears up and confirms that she is outside, however, the texture and the lighting of her surroundings seem surreal. It is clear that she is in the painting. She is no longer wearing her simple clothing either but instead dawning a more colourful look.

After walking around for a little the protagonist happens upon a tree. Within this tree there is a single apple, hanging from one of the lower branches. She walks closer and picks it, deciding then to rub her fingers against its skin as if cleaning it. She raises her hand from the apple and notices it is red and the spot she rubbed had faded in colour, as if she had rubbed the paint off of it. 

(Now here is where I'm not sure what other events would take place on)

Finally, the protagonist wanders into a clearing and there far away she recognizes the floral dress of the woman in the painting. She approaches her. The woman is sitting down on the grass and it is evident that she is quietly crying. Once she is closer, the protagonist kneels by the woman and by now it is clear that look-alike if not exactly the same, however, if she noticed she made no move to show it.  The protagonist slowly reaches her hand towards the woman and rubs her tear away.

THE END 

Why?

When brainstorming ideas of what to do in the project, I found myself drawing a blank. It was only until my math class when I was talking to a friend and fellow media student Nicole (you can find her blog here), that I thought back on my past portfolio project. 

Last year I had also decided to go with an art theme for the opening, choosing to portray an artist struggling with their imperfection. Art plays and has played a large role in my life since I was very young, so for me, it wasn't a hard decision to go with an art-based project.

Images from 20/21 AS film opening


This year the statement still stands. Not only did I coincidentally theme my blog this with art pieces (I swear I had decided on a theme even before thinking about the portfolio project), but I also have been involved in many art projects outside of my art class this year. Without thinking too into it, however, the idea of which will encompass my short film came to me quite suddenly and I haven't been able to let go since. 

I have decided to take this opportunity and this idea which suddenly arrived at me to talk about the importance of acceptance of yourself. Though (as of right now) this theme isn't overtly portrayed up until the end, I hope that its subtleness will allow me to have greater creative liberty when it comes to mise en scene and editing while also including a plot twist within the piece.

Though, as I said before, I am terrified of what is to come, I am equally as excited. I can not wait to see what is to come through this whole process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment