Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Painting Preparations

Before beginning the actual painting I needed to do multiple things to prep the canvas +frame

 
The before picture

gold fill

The first thing I did was paint the wood portions of the frame gold. It took me around 9 coats to get to where the frame in the image above is but I still feel like there are a lot of portions that are not very opaque. I also plan to go in with a finer brush with some black and dark brown to age the gold portions further.

Gesso prime

The next thing I did was to prime the canvas with a gesso. The reason I did this is that since I don't know the quality of the current state of the canvas, I wanted to make sure that the oil paints I'll be using will not deteriorate it. Prior to priming it, however, I did not know that the gesso would be as opaque as it was which is a little sad as I wanted to see if I could incorporate the original piece somehow with the piece ill be painting. 

Before and after

The last thing I did within the frame was attempt at fixing the broken piece. I tried filling in and moulding clay to fit the empty space and match the pattern on the rest of the frame. As of right now, I am waiting for the clay to try so that I can paint over it but I am a little afraid that the clay won't stick to the frame, If this were to happen I think I'll just paint the empty space with acrylics and attempt to create the illusion of death with shadows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment