Sunday, March 27, 2022

The Painting (almost complete)

Here is the long-awaited painting process blog that's been in the making for an entire week!

After painting the white basecoat almost two weeks ago it took me a while to actually start sketching as of course there are other things I as a student have to worry about. On the 20th Sunday night was when I began actually drawing out the composition. Also, I think it's important to note that weeks prior a created sketches in my sketchbook just to try to plan everything out and I will be including images of it here once I get my sketchbook left. 

I began the actual process by measuring and drawing guidelines that matched lines I edited into my reference pic. I had to redo this a couple of times as the first time I didn't know where my ruler was so I proceeded to sketch it without one. Didn't turn out so great.

Then I used the lines as a way to know that the drawing is the right size and to scale to the rest of the piece and finished the sketch.

After the sketch was complete I *attempted* to do an acrylic underpainting base however I quickly gave up. The brushstrokes, as you can see, are incredibly un even and I felt that if i did continue to try blocking in the light and darks of the piece I would just ruin it so I left it at that.
Then I proceeded to do the background. As I mentioned in past blog posts I envisioned the background being really simple that hinted that the setting of the piece was somewhere outdoors. I think it turned out great despite learning that the oil paints were a little sheer and that the guidelines were shining through.

After finishing the background I started colouring the portrait. I began with the skin tones but then was quickly discouraged over the more detailed oriented parts so I turned to the dress. It was actually really fun to paint the texture of cloth, it was something I've always wanted to do but never got the chance and I feel like it turned out pretty great.

More progress + dress detail 

From the last image, I've finished the face and also the details on the dress. I'm choosing not to post these updates as I do want to keep it for the big reveal and as I'm not done with the hair yet that is being pushed off till later. 

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with Maya and her sister at Markahn Park to film the last scene in the film (not to be confused with the last scene I need to film) and hopefully, then I'll get a reference pic for the hair as right now I'm working off of 3 separate images and I'm struggling with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment